Belize Social Investment Fund
TECHNICAL OFFICER – COMMUNITY/INSTITUTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The Belize Social Investment Fund (BSIF) is a quasi-governmental body that was established by the Government of Belize (GOB) in 1996 with the passage of the Social Investment Fund Act. The BSIF is designed to contribute to the reduction of poverty in both urban and rural areas through the delivery of small-scale community sub-projects under various sectors including water and sanitation, health, economic infrastructure, education, social services, and organizational strengthening. The BSIF assists local communities in identifying community issues and in deciding which interventions can provide solutions.
BSIF is seeking to recruit an individual to fill the position of Technical OfficerCommunity/Institutional Development
The Technical Officer – Community and Institutional Development (TO-CID) will be stationed at the Fund’s headquarters in Belmopan and will be supervised by the Technical Unit Coordinator. The TO-CID will conduct project appraisals, supervision, and monitoring, and will serve as a resource person for the BSIF in conducting social and institutional appraisals. The officer will also be responsible for coordinating the activities of the field officer in assessing community needs and assets and in conducting activities aimed at strengthening beneficiaries.
Qualifications & Experience:
A minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Sociology, Rural/ Community Development, or related field. The candidate shall have at least five (5) years of experience in project management and in community development. The candidate shall be computer literate with a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of applications. The candidate shall possess experience in working with international funding agencies. The candidate shall be fluent in English. Fluency in Spanish shall be highly considered.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all duties in keeping with the procedures, guidelines, and agreements provided for by the organization.
- Participate as a member of BSIF’s Technical Unit – in being the lead intermediary – in organizing and supervising community needs and assets assessments and organizational needs assessments.
- Conduct technical, financial, environmental, economic, sustainability, institutional, and social assessments of project proposals.
- Participate as a member of BSIF’s Technical Unit – in being the lead intermediary – for the development of projects, which shall be presented to the BSIF Board of Directors and funding agency(ies) for approval.
- Oversee the activities undertaken by BSIF’s field officer.
- If called upon, conduct the technical evaluation of bids for the execution of works and the supply of goods.
- Conduct the evaluation of expressions of interest submitted by consultants, followed by the technical and financial evaluation of proposals submitted for the provision of consultancy services.
- Monitor the activities of contractors and goods suppliers to ensure that services rendered are in accordance with the terms and conditions of their respective contracts.
- Monitor and supervise the activities undertaken by consultants to ensure that services rendered to the BSIF are in accordance with the terms and conditions of their respective contracts.
- Verify payment certificates submitted by consultants and BSIF’s engineer/architect.
- Act as the lead intermediary in the coordination and supervision of work undertaken by community members as a part of their community contribution.
- Act as the lead intermediary in the coordination and supervision of training activities for various stakeholders.
- Prepare budget changes that may arise during the execution of project activities.
- Liaise with various counterparts to ensure the efficient execution of project activities.
- Work along with various line ministries, non-governmental organizations, and communitybased organizations to strengthen collaborative efforts.
- Assist the administrative staff in ensuring that project files contain all required documentation.
- Assume responsibility for the Fund’s Assets assigned to the officer for the execution of duties;
- Report to the Technical Unit Coordinator on the progress of activities under execution.
- Any other duties required for the effective functioning of the BSIF.
Supervisor: Technical Unit Coordinator, Belize Social Investment Fund
Proposed Salary: Negotiable based on qualifications and experience. The successful candidate will be employed on a full-time contractual basis and stationed at BSIF’s Office in Belmopan. The initial contract period shall be two (2) years, extendable by mutual agreement in accordance with prevailing Belize legislation as well as results of his/her performance appraisal.
Work Station: The TO-CID will be stationed at the BSIF office in Belmopan; however, will be required to travel to communities in various parts of Belize.
Closing Date for Receipt of Applications: Monday, May 10th, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
Kindly submit One (1) original and two (2) hard copies of CV, complete with cover letter, copies of degree/certificates to:
Belize Social Investment Fund
Belize, Central America email@example.com CC to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Re: Technical Officer – Community/Institutional Development