The project development objective of the BMPD is to improve access to basic municipal infrastructure and to enhance municipal management in selected Town and City Councils (TCCs) of Belize. This will be achieved by implementing subprojects in the following three categories:
- Municipal Infrastructure Investments
- Technical Assistance and Capacity Building for Town and City Councils and Central Government
- Project Management/Administration
The project development objectives are monitored with the following outcome indicators:
- Number of beneficiaries with access to improved quality of basic municipal infrastructure (direct and indirect project beneficiaries (number), of which female (percentage)).
- Number of TCCs successfully completing investments in first and second phases.
- At least four TCCs each have achieved minimum four out of seven intermediate outcome indicators of Component 2.
BMDP is designed as a capacity building project at both the local and central government levels. Support will be given to initiatives designed and planned by individual Town and City Councils which will take responsibility for the maintenance of the subprojects upon completion. In order to ensure that substantial progress is made in developing good governance practices by the participating Town and City Councils and to ensure project sustainability, financing of project activities will be contingent on the Town and City Councils following established guidelines and meeting a set of explicitly defined eligibility criteria. Activities that enhance accountability and transparency in municipal administration are being supported. BMDP also provide direct support to the Central Government in order to ensure the institutional sustainability of the project.
All project investments and technical assistance are implemented by BSIF on behalf of and in response to priorities identified by the Town and City Councils. No financial resources are made directly available under BMDP to the participating Town and City Councils.